[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio with Motif?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 5 15:42:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, 08.04.08 17:58, Michel Bardiaux (mbardiaux at mediaxim.be) wrote:

> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> > Any example using PulseAudio for sound and Motif (or Athena) for GUI?
> >
> > TIA,
>
> Pretty please?
>
> I would really like to add networked audio capability to my
> applications, but finding one's way between NAS, ESD, ARTS, JACK, etc is
>   hard going. Currently, PULSE looks very attractive because it does not
> insist on threads, using an asynchronous model instead. Since Motif (and
> Athena) do the same, the match should be good, but I havent found any
> example yet. Just a liiiitle pointer would help a lot.

Uh. I guess Motif is just a bit out of fashion these days, that's all,
that's why noone responded. ;-)

But yes, the PA client can integrate into other event loops. That
doesn't mean however that this is a really go idea in all cases. In
fact in most cases it is not a good idea, especially not if you drive
an X11 GUI whith all kinds of time intensive and blocking syscalls
from the same event loop.

The PA client is very flexible when it comes to event loops. That is
quite nice in some ways, but actually it also makes the PA client APIs
a bitt too complex.