[pulseaudio-discuss] Shoutcast/Icecast sink for pulseaudio

Matthew Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Thu May 8 08:26:24 PDT 2008

Hey everyone,

In my quest to further expand my whole home audio solution I was
thinking about the options for piping the music to non pulse supporting
devices like my internet tablet and cell phones. Right now I stream to
these devices simply by giving them playlists that target my webserver,
but I have tried in the past icecast2. This has the added benefit of
normalizing the stream bitrate for the lower bandwidth of the cell phone
(and is essential now that I am moving to flac as my primary format).

Has anybody worked on a solution for pulseaudio -> shoutcast/icecast? I
realize icecast only takes mp3/ogg streams, so the raw pcm data would
have to be piped through an encoder on the fly, then shipped to the
icecast server. I also realize synchronization would be lost, but
wouldn't this be a cool addition!

Any ideas?

Matt