[pulseaudio-discuss] can help me?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 8 16:33:00 PDT 2008

Juan A Fuentes wrote:
> hi, sorry, i an a low vision people, and i an have the hith contrast theme
> on my xp for a god view of my screen

Ahh I see. It didn't show up too well for me :(

> the purpose is:
>  ubuntu in a remote place, another room, ubuntu is running orca, a screen
> reader, it saywitn a tts voice al text in the screen
>
> via vnc my xp windows conect with ubuntu, i can listen in my xp pc the sound
> emited by orca in the ubuntu pc

Yes this should be entirely possible.

It should be a matter of running pulseaudio on windows probably via
executing pulseaudio.exe from that command line. You may have to
configre the default.pa to allow network connections and without
authentication. The wiki explains how.

On the Ubuntu box e.g. when you've vnc'ed in, just type

  $ export PULSE_SERVER=<addr of windows box>

Then start your program from the same terminal.

That should be all you need to do. You can also fiddle around with
tunnels but this is the simplest way to get started. Have a look at the
pulseaudio website for more information on each of the modules and how
to use tunnels etc.