[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with module-oss

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed May 14 13:35:06 PDT 2008

My overall goal is to run pulseaudio on a Linux Sunray session which has
an OSS /dev/dsp. This is kind of a complicated situation, so I am trying
to do the  equivalent first on a laptop that already has pulse working.

On the laptop (Ubuntu 8.04) it works with an alsa sink.

However, I changed my default.pa to instead use

load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input

I do hear the startup jingle /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav on login,
but I don't know if thats coming from pulse or not. I do see a reference
to it in the "info".

Anything I then try to "paplay" hangs. I know the /dev/dsp is good
because mplayer can use it directly with "-ao oss". I can also cat au
files to the /dev/dsp successfully.

Below is what pacmd sees with "info", right after login.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
 >>> Memory blocks currently allocated: 2, size: 1.6 MiB.
Memory blocks allocated during the whole lifetime: 454, size: 3.4 MiB.
Memory blocks imported from other processes: 0, size: 0 B.
Memory blocks exported to other processes: 0, size: 0 B.
Total sample cache size: 1.6 MiB.
Default sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default sink name: output
Default source name: input
Memory blocks of type POOL: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type POOL_EXTERNAL: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type APPENDED: 2 allocated/2 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type USER: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type FIXED: 0 allocated/452 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type IMPORTED: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
11 module(s) loaded.
     index: 0
	name: <module-oss>
	argument: <device="/dev/dsp"  sink_name=output source_name=input>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 1
	name: <module-hal-detect>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 2
	name: <module-esound-protocol-unix>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 3
	name: <module-native-protocol-unix>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 4
	name: <module-volume-restore>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 5
	name: <module-default-device-restore>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 6
	name: <module-rescue-streams>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 7
	name: <module-suspend-on-idle>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 8
	name: <module-x11-publish>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 9
	name: <module-x11-xsmp>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
     index: 10
	name: <module-cli-protocol-unix>
	argument: <>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
1 sink(s) available.
   * index: 0
	name: <output>
	driver: <modules/module-oss.c>
	flags: LATENCY HARDWARE
	state: SUSPENDED
	volume: <0: 100% 1: 100%>
	mute: <0>
	latency: <0 usec>
	monitor source: <1>
	sample spec: <s16le 2ch 44100Hz>
	channel map: <front-left,front-right>
	used by: <0>
	linked by: <0>
	module: <0>
2 source(s) available.
   * index: 0
	name: <input>
	driver: <modules/module-oss.c>
	flags: LATENCY HARDWARE
	state: SUSPENDED
	volume: <0: 100% 1: 100%>
	mute: <0>
	latency: <0 usec>
	sample spec: <s16le 2ch 44100Hz>
	channel map: <front-left,front-right>
	used by: <0>
	linked by: <0>
	module: <0>
     index: 1
	name: <output.monitor>
	driver: <modules/module-oss.c>
	flags:
	state: SUSPENDED
	volume: <0: 100% 1: 100%>
	mute: <0>
	latency: <0 usec>
	sample spec: <s16le 2ch 44100Hz>
	channel map: <front-left,front-right>
	used by: <0>
	linked by: <0>
	monitor_of: <0>
	module: <0>
13 client(s) logged in.
     index: 0
	name: <EsounD client (UNIX socket client)>
	driver: <pulsecore/protocol-esound.c>
	owner module: <2>
     index: 1
[...]
     index: 12
	name: <EsounD client (UNIX socket client)>
	driver: <pulsecore/protocol-esound.c>
	owner module: <2>
     index: 13
	name: <EsounD client (UNIX socket client)>
	driver: <pulsecore/protocol-esound.c>
	owner module: <2>
     index: 18
	name: <EsounD client (UNIX socket client)>
	driver: <pulsecore/protocol-esound.c>
	owner module: <2>
     index: 19
	name: <UNIX socket client>
	driver: <pulsecore/cli.c>
	owner module: <10>
     index: 20
	name: <EsounD client (UNIX socket client)>
	driver: <pulsecore/protocol-esound.c>
	owner module: <2>
     index: 22
	name: <UNIX socket client>
	driver: <pulsecore/cli.c>
	owner module: <10>
0 sink input(s) available.
0 source outputs(s) available.
3 cache entries available.
     name: <pulse-hotplug>
	index: <0>
	sample spec: <n/a>
	channel map: <n/a>
	length: <0>
	duration: <0.0s>
	volume: <0: 100% 1: 100% 2: 100% 3: 100% 4: 100% 5: 100% 6: 100% 7: 100%>
	lazy: yes
	filename: /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
     name: <esound.gnome-2/logout>
	index: <1>
	sample spec: <s16le 2ch 44100Hz>
	channel map: <front-left,front-right>