[pulseaudio-discuss] Hal detect and multiple outputs

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri May 23 16:10:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, 23.05.08 16:11, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> I have Intel HDA audio hardware with both a digital (S/PDIF) and
> analog output. When I used module-hal-detect pulse only provided one
> sink, 0, which was the analog device.  I fixed this by manually
> creating two alsa sinks in pulse config, one for hw:0,0 and hw:0,1.
>
> Shouldn't pulse and hal been able to automatically figure out that I
> have two alsa sinks and given me the option to choose?

Yes, of course. Would be awesome. However, neither HAL nor ALSA
provide enough information about whether the SPDIF and analog outputs
are exclusive to each other or not.

If they are not exclusive (which is the case on most devices) we need
to be able to switch the output during runtime.

What has been on my todo list for a while now is a) the ability to
autoprobe which combinations of analog/digital/recording are available
and b) a way to be able to switch output ports a sink during runtime.

It's unfortunately not trivial to do. So please be patient.