[pulseaudio-discuss] How to PA -> old ESD

Fog_Watch db5 at exemail.com.au
Sat May 31 05:35:19 PDT 2008

I am a total PulseAudio/esd noob.  Sorry, I just can't figure this one
out.

I am wanting to send sound from my Proliant application server to an old
client X box.  I don't know whether this is possible.

I set up the server with PA 0.9.10 and Mplayer dev-SVN-r26753-4.1.2
(recent).  I can play an audio file with Mplayer and see a "stream"
appear in the PA Manager and go out over the network.

The client box is an old Slackware thing.  I can however successfully
"mpg123 <sound file>" and hear the file.  I thought that I might be
able to do something like:
# esd -port 4713 # version 0.2.35 (year 2005)
to capture the "sink" from the Proliant box and sent it to the sound
card.  All I get is bothersome silence.

Is it possible to send sound from PA to ESD in this way?  Yes?  Ummm.
Port wrong for esd?  Anything else?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Fog_Watch

$ egrep -v '^#|^$' default.pa
.nofail
load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
.fail
load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp
load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor
set-default-sink rtp
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
load-module module-volume-restore
load-module module-default-device-restore
load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

--
Lose wait.  Get Gentoo.