[pulseaudio-discuss] volume limiter - is this possible in pulseaudio?

David Kågedal davidk at lysator.liu.se
Tue Nov 25 00:41:33 PST 2008

Michal Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net> writes:

> Dnia 2008-11-23, nie o godzinie 23:41 +0000, Colin Guthrie pisze:
>> You just need to set the hardware volume of the sink. You can do this
>> in
>> pavucontrol under the device, not the stream.
>
> I think you misunderstood, what you can set in the volume control is,
> actually, amplification. It always multiplies the 'incoming' volume by a
> set amount.
>
> What Sanjeev meant, is that he would like to limit the outgoing volume
> regardless of the input volume, so actually he meant compression.

You could use LADSPA to insert a limiter or compressor between the
source and the output.

See http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-ladspa-sink for an
example of inserting an equalizer. There are probably several LADSPA
limiters available, but you'll have to look it up yourself unless
someone steps in with a complete solution here.

--
David Kågedal