[pulseaudio-discuss] libcanberra should be an optional dependency for pavucontrol

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 6 11:47:49 PDT 2008

On Mon, 06.10.08 13:09, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> I agree (ish). While libcanberra is the defacto implementation of the
> sound theme spec, it is just an implementation and if an alternative
> library is written (e.g. for use in Qt - and yes I know it would make
> more sense to use libcanberra for Qt, but this is just "in theory" ;))
> that also implements the spec, then pavucontrol would not compile
> there.

Uh? In which way would it matter whether KDE/Qt had an alternative library
for event sounds? pavucontrol is a Gtk application -- and it's going
to stay that way. And for gtk apps using kde apis is not going to
happen.

If you really want no event sounds then compile the null driver into
your libcanberra build or set $CANBERRA_DRIVER to null.

> I guess the bigger question of "do you want the sound theme part of the
> pavucontrol UI compiled when the desktop does not support it" is really
> what needs answered.

No. Doing stuff like this during build time is crack. Do it during
runtime if you must.