[pulseaudio-discuss] libcanberra should be an optional dependency for pavucontrol

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 6 12:11:32 PDT 2008

On Mon, 06.10.08 21:34, Ozan Çağlayan (ozan at pardus.org.tr) wrote:

> > Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. What are you asking me for next?
> > Maybe that the dep on gtk should become optional too?
> >

> Hm, maybe I need some enlightment about the issue,
>
> All I want to do is to remove the sound system track widget from
> pavucontrol because AFAIK this widget is only functional on systems
> which plays event sounds using libcanberra. Am I wrong? Does that widget
> manages the system sounds' volume in a platform/mechanism independant way?

It manages all sounds that are tagged as event sounds. i.e. where the
property "media.role" is set to "event". libcanberra sounds happen to
be tagged that way. But you can tag any sound you want like that. You
can even do that via an environment variable:
PULSE_PROP_media.role=event (please note that many shells don't recognize
environment vars with dots, you might need stuff utils like env to
circumvent that limitation).