[pulseaudio-discuss] Segmentation fault when load module-alsa-sink by commandline

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 9 05:59:13 PDT 2008

On Thu, 09.10.08 14:10, Zhang, Xing Z (xing.z.zhang at intel.com) wrote:

Heya!

> I am newbie to PA. Now I am trying to enable PA from scratch. When I
> enter “load-module module-alsa-sink” it complains “no such file
> found”, then I launch PA with param “-p /usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/”
> unfortunately a segmentation fault happen while I load
> module-alsa-sink. I notice default.pa uses module-hal-detect instead
> of directly loading module-asla-xxx, so I want to know whether the
> issue I met is a known bug? Or any other methods to load
> module-alsa-xxx by manual?

Hmm, do you mean you have compiled PA yourself?

If you have to pass -p then this is probably a sign that your modules dir
and pa binary do not match: /usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules probably
belongs to your installed version while your are running your own.

Please note that the interface to the modules is not ABI or API stable
in any way. That means, if you load a module that was compiled for a
differnt PA version you will almost certainly get a segfault.

If you want to run PA from your build tree then make sure to edit
~/.pulse/daemon.conf. There, set dl-search-path to something like this:

  dl-search-path = /home/lennart/projects/pulseaudio/src/.libs

(This is the line I use, with having my GIT checkout of PA in
~/projects/pulseaudio. The .libs/ is especially important because
libtool puts its .so in that hidden subdir during build time)

Hope this helps,