[pulseaudio-discuss] garbled mic input with padsp teamspeak

Aleksander Kamenik aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee
Mon Oct 20 13:14:37 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to get teamspeak [1] working with pulseaudio via padsp.
Teamspeak is a very old app which uses /dev/dsp. I've got no problems
with audio output, only input.

The mic works fine in any other application and I even get good sound
with audacity launched with padsp. I didn't expect that, I guess
audacity detects the correct audio mode/fragments? Or maybe the problem
is that teamspeak is a 32bit app?

But with padsp teamspeak I get bad sound from the mic. Without padsp the
sound is OK, but as it uses OSS it blocks all other apps including
pulseaudio. So need to get it to play ball with padsp.

I've tried playing around with default-fragments and
default-fragment-size-msec. As it's two variables and I don't really
understand what they do I haven't been able to get acceptable sound.
Though better than the default. My best result is something like normal
voice but with frequent hiccups.

If changing the default-fragment options is the way, could somebody
please point me to some documentation that would help me find the
correct values. If not, what else should I look for.

I'm running Fedora 9 64bit, all up to date, pulseaudio-0.9.10-2.fc9.x86_64.

The audio card is E-MU 0404 USB. It works out of the box with Fedora 9,
though officially the alsa drivers are not completed yet.

I'm grateful for any input.

1 - http://www.goteamspeak.com/

Regards,

--