[pulseaudio-discuss] Intercepting PulseAudio sound for EQ display?

Josh Lehan krellan at krellan.com
Thu Oct 23 00:04:32 PDT 2008

Hello.  I have a question about intercepting PulseAudio-generated sound.

I'd like to make a display for the sound buffer that is currently
playing in realtime, either an oscilloscope or an EQ.

Is there an API within PulseAudio to do this?

I looked at the monitor sample code for pavumeter, but it seems geared
towards just getting the overall volume level of the current buffer, and
not the actual sample data.

I'd love a call to "sniff" the sample data fairly late in the output
process, after it has been mixed from all sources, just before it is
sent to the sound hardware.  Does such a thing exist?

The next step after being able to "sniff" the data would be to modify
the buffer and replace it, allowing for EQ adjustments and other
filters, but just being able to see the data would be a big help for now.

Thanks!

Josh