[pulseaudio-discuss] Monitor devices and unconnected sources.

Josh Lehan krellan at krellan.com
Sat Oct 25 14:09:19 PDT 2008

Knut-Håvard Aksnes wrote:
> If I generate too much silence I might be in for a bad surprise, when I
> can't keep the timestamps increasing if I get audio on the next call, if
> I don't generate silence my backend can't multiplex the different
> streams. The multiplexer needs at least the timestamps to know how to
> proceed, it might have to resample some audio due to clock differences,
> between different media sources.

To always have an audio stream available on the monitor device, could
you just write a very simple client that would play silence (a stream of
zeroes) continuously?

Then, you would always have "audio" being played and mixed by
PulseAudio.  Hopefully, doing this shouldn't interfere with other
clients that are playing real sounds.

Josh