[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Audio crashes

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sun Oct 26 13:48:39 PDT 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> They will be there but they may have some different names... like
>>> gdm-devel or whatever. Hunt around you'll find them.
>> Did & done
>>> I'd actually strongly advise you *against* using /usr as a prefix. This
>>> is the distro prefix where officially installed packages live. If you
>>> want to build your own stuff from source, I'd recomment using /usr/local
>>> or (and this is my personal preference) I'd use a random location e.g.
>>> /home/colin/pulse-trunk as my prefix. When I'm done I can just remove
>>> that folder and I've tided up everything. If you use /usr and you want
>>> to tidy up or revert to the distro version you'll have to go around and
>>> tidy things up manually which is both very difficult and time consuming.
>> Too late already had done. All dependencies installed and pulseaudio was
>> configured, compiled, and installed as instructed by Sean McNamara.
>> Pulse will not start. When I start from gnome term I get the following:
>>
>> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
>> I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
>> I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
>> E: module.c: Failed to open module "module-esound-protocol-unix":
>> libsocket-util.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> E: main.c: Module load failed.
>> E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon
>>
>> Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?
>
> Hmmmmm. Did you use git master? And did you remove your system
> pulseaudio? In master libsocket-util.so is gone. I am wondering which
> version of pulse you are actually running now. Perhaps you're trying to
> load the old module-esound-protocol-unix module into the new server
> which will not work :s
>
> This could be sadly what I was worried about when I advised about not
> using /usr..... and you may just have to go around tidying things up
> manually....
>
> Col

Downloaded from the pulseaudio site link that Sean had given me. I
presume that's the git master.? I did find that I had forgotten to
remove the version that Fedora installed. After removing through the pkg
mgr GUI and then redoing the make -j install, I rebooted, and it seems
to be ok. It did act a little strange in that it seemed to be a little
slow starting, and initially failed the sound test, then all of a sudden
started working. On the removal, I noticed that it removed several
packages that pertained to alsa backend for pulse, would that be a problem?

TIA
Scott