[pulseaudio-discuss] Monitor devices and unconnected sources.

Knut-Håvard Aksnes kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu
Tue Oct 28 05:07:06 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 24.10.08 12:39, Knut-Håvard Aksnes (kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu) wrote:
>

>> I am working on an application where I listen to monitor interfaces. The
>> audio stream is intended to be merged with other AV streams later down
>> the processing pipeline using third party code, (open source but quite
>> complex to understand and modify). My problem is that the application
>> connecting to the pulse audio monitor might or might not send audio,
>> depending on user input, if it doesn't send audio it won't connect to
>> the pulse audio source, the application might also disconnect the audio
>> based on user input, before terminating itself. (Audio is handled by
>> plugins that might get loaded and unloaded based on user input)
>>
>> My problem is that I really need to receive silence (zero filled audio )
>> instead of empty packages from the monitor interface when no sources is
>> connected. Is it possible to configure pulse audio to give me this?
>>

> A simple possibility is not to load module-suspend-on-idle. Only when
> an audio devcie is suspended you won't get any data from it.

At least on fedora 9 (running pulseaudio 0.9.10) this doesn't work.

An easy test is to unload the module-suspend-on-idle, then creating a
null sink
then trying parec on this sinks monitor device without connecting a source.
The result is an empty file. What I need is a file growing with the same
speed (pa_bytes_per_second per second) even when no applications are
sending to the associated l sink.