[pulseaudio-discuss] Intel HDA on ubuntu 9.04 beta

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:05:13 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 April 2009 20:37:00 Mark Greenwood wrote:

>> > No clue about Ubuntu. But I think there are 'PPA's for PA from git somewhere.
>> >
>> > Lennart
>> >

>> Indeed there are. This guy has 0.9.15-test7 for Jaunty, along with updated alsa libs to support it.
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa
>>
>> You may need a Launchpad login to access it. I haven't tried it myself (yet).
>
> OK I have now tried it, with only mild success. I can't get audio out of my speakers unless I explicitly specify 5.1 surround (it defaults to stereo) and then it is deafening and the volume controls don't work. Not sure exactly what's happening. I wouldn't reccommend trying this unless you are confident you can 'go back'.

I used alsa 1.00.19 and git head for pulse and it worked perfectly for me.

Did you get the "Configuration" tab in the Volume control applet? That
was the key feature I needed.

This also fixes another problem I always had with the SPDIF being
muted on new installs and then needing to use an alsa tool to unmute
it before I could get it working with pulse.  Muting works correctly
now.

>From a UI point of view this is a major leap forward from the previous
versions of pulse.

I'll try playing around with a52 next.  a52 lets you play movies and
get surround sound out of your stereo without needing a six channel
analog cable.  a52 has patent problems (aac), is it possible to bring
it in from medibuntu?