[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI support

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 09:06:33 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net>wrote:

> AFAICS the ALSA "hdmi:" device does not rearrange the channels in any
> way. Hence it probably exposes the raw underlying channel order. The
> question of course is how the channel map nego in ALSA works for the
> cases where a specific number of channels might have multiple possible
> channel mappings. It might be possible to select the mapping via the
> AES0, AES1, AES2, AES3 parameters hdmi: takes. But I have no
> clue. That's probably something we should ask the guys who wrote the
> HDMI support though (Takashi?).

I discussed this briefly, there are a bunch of HDMI parameters that ALSA
does not expose. For example in the HDA driver, the ELD parameters that
report audio/video latencies are just printed out on the console and are not
provided to the apps. PA could make sure of this information to provide a
finer granularity, the hardware is not capable for delay resolution lower
than a video frame.

>Hey, Intel, send me an HDMI capable TV and I might play around with
and make sure  that things work properly in PA ;-).
I'll check internally.
Cheers
- Pierre