[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio apps (Audacious) over SSH

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Apr 10 01:45:56 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and John Lane at 09/04/09 23:52 did gyre and gimble:
> what is different about the ssh session that prevents this from working ?
>
> any help much appreciated.

I'll explain briefly how it works and that may help you debug your env
further.

I'll assume you're using a recent version of PA.

When pulse is started inside an X11 environment, an XDG autostart file
should be run. /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop

This runs the script start-pulseaudio-x11. This loads a module in the
pulsedaemon (and starts it if it's not running yet) which allows the
configuration to queried via x window properties.

If you do xprop -root | grep PULSE you'll see the values I'm referring
to, but the important one is PULSE_SERVER.

When you ssh -X it will allow the remote machine to query the pulseaudio
settings from the root window so doing xprop -root | grep PULSE after
ssh'ing should give you the same result.

Using this variable it should be possible to connect back to your
pulseaudio daemon, but it could be getting overridden somewhere else.
e.g. you may have a client.conf (either in /etc/pulse or ~/.pulse) that
overrides the server= argument for example.

If you can play about a bit, and set the standard environment variable
PULSE_SERVER I'm sure you can trace where the problem lies.

Hope this helps.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]