[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio not detecting 7:1 in ICE1724 card

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 20 14:18:51 PDT 2009

On Mon, 20.04.09 17:48, A. C. Censi (accensi at gmail.com) wrote:

> In my Ubuntu Jaunty Beta, with Pulseaudio 0.9.15 from PPA repo, with a
> ICE1724 card (Chaintech AV710) the surround channels are not detected by
> Pulse.
>
> Log with --log-level-4 is attached. AV710 and motherboard HDA are listed,
> only HDA surround channels are detected.
>
> It could be an ALSA driver problem?
>
> How to help diagnose it?

There are no working surround51:, surround71: style definitions for
ICE cards. This has been brought up on the alsa mls a couple of
times. To not much result.

I think the problem is basically that alsa userspace cannot
distuingish the different ice cards and hence has no clue how the
different channels are wired up. I.e. it doesn't know which channel is
front-left, and which one is rear-right. Hence it cannot provide the
'surround51:' style device names which PA needs.

This is an ALSA issue, has nothing to do with PA. Please ask them for
further help.