[pulseaudio-discuss] Module to sink to a device

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 21 06:50:43 PDT 2009

On Tue, 21.04.09 18:25, nikhil.rao at wipro.com (nikhil.rao at wipro.com) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,

Hi!

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I was just wondering. Can I re-use the module-pipe-sink such that
> instead of operating on a FIFO Pipe file("/tmp/fifo.output") use my
> /dev/XXX node? When I say re-use I'd change the way buffer size/sample
> rate/format is changed as per my requirements.

Sure, you can base your work on any module you like to. Please keep in
mind however that for proper synchronisation support you need to
implement the latency querying primitives which the pipe sink does not
implement. It's probably a better idea to base your work on a
different driver.

And again, it's probably much less work and more future-proof to
simply turn your kernel driver into a proper ALSA kernel driver.