[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio server for playing 32-bit chroot sounds on 64-bit host machine

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Apr 26 02:59:21 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 25/04/09 13:45 did gyre and gimble:
> So, back to the matter at hand, any suggestions on what I might try when
> I regain access to my PC? Colin mentioned that networked Pulse should
> not be necessary, and that's my gut feeling as well, though I HAVE got
> it working with that. Perhaps I need to edit client.conf within the
> chroot to use the .pulse-cookie within the user's home directory,
> similarly to how I need to edit it when using networked Pulse? Shouldn't
> that be automatic, anyhow?

Well you shouldn't *need* to enable networking, but it may be a quick
and simple way to get it working (albeit with increased overhead).

You shouldn't need to edit client.conf as the built in mechanisms in
pulse should be sufficient to work out where to connect.

FWIW, the logic is something like this:

1. Check for client.conf and use it if specified.
2. Check for PULSE_SERVER env var and use it if specified
3. Check for PULSE_SERVER X11 property (xprop -root | grep PULSE) and
use it if specified.
4. Connect to the local server via the socket in the "runtime" directory.
5. Autospawn a local pulse server and connect to it.

The runtime directory is specified as a symlink inside ~/.pulse/ It
should look like "ac481238bcef82:runtime" where the random string of
characters is your "machine id". Make sure you don't have two different
machine ids listed in your ~/pulse folder pointing to different runtime
folders. If you do, then this is likely a problem. Report back and we'll
try and work that one out.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]