[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Jack module, dies sometimes on mpc toggle

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 07:18:50 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm using module-jack-sink and module-jack-source such that Pulse is
running above my Jack server. It doesn't give problems about half the
time, but sometimes the sound from my mpd server just dies. This is
because the pulse daemon has crashed and died (as shown by different PID
of pulseaudio before and after this happens). I've tried to run
pulseaudio in a terminal instead of daemonized, and in that situation I
can almost guaruntee a crash almost as soon as I start playing, though
if I start pulse with pulseaudio --start it seems to be able to work for
a much longer period of time.

In case it matters, my default.pa does NOT load module-hal-detect,
module-alsa-sink/source, or module-jack-sink/source, but the other
default modules are loaded. I have two scripts, pulse-nojack and
pulse-withjack, which would check for a running Jack server and
start/kill depending on the needs of the situation, as well as
load/unload the modules as needed.

I'm quite at a lost on how to analyze the situation, since there seems
to be a difference between running pulseaudio --start (which if I'm not
wrong is the same as pulseaudio, except it checks for a running daemon,
which I can confirm does NOT exist before running the command) and just
running pulseaudio.