[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio error message

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Aug 7 01:42:00 PDT 2009

pe, 2009-08-07 kello 16:41 +1000, Patrick Shirkey kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I have repeatedly had the following error message after installing the
> following package:
>
> yum install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i586

Doesn't Fedora come with pulseaudio preinstalled, along with the alsa
plugin?

> - I get the same error messages with skype and while playing youtube
> videos in firefox:
>
> socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
> ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused

"Connection refused" almost certainly means that pulseaudio wasn't
running at the time connecting was tried. But the default install should
autospawn the server on demand.

Since you don't seem to have a default configuration, it would be useful
to tell what changes you have made.

> - I have added my user as a member of the pulse group.

The pulse group is the group that the system mode runs under. Adding
yourself to the group does nothing. If and only if you use the system
mode, then adding yourself to the pulse-access group is useful.

> - I am running Fedora 11 64 bit with pulseaudio-0.9.16-test4-7-gaa74
>

> Any ideas on how to fix this?

Enable autospawning in /etc/pulse/client.conf or ~/.pulse/client.conf.
Or use some other approach to make sure the server is running. If the
server doesn't start, the output of "pulseaudio -vvvv" is useful.

> Almost everything I have found online says to disable pulseaudio which
> is not at all what I want to do.

I don't use either Skype or Flash myself, but I believe the situation is
such that Flash 10 should work fine (I think Youtube might work with
free alternatives too: gnash and/or swfdec), whereas Skype doesn't work
well with PulseAudio.

--
Tanu Kaskinen