[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio error message

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 7 01:49:43 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 07/08/09 07:41 did gyre and gimble:
> yum install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i586

First off do you have a 32 bit system or is this a 32 bit library on a
predominantly 64 bit system?

> - I get the same error messages with skype and while playing youtube
> videos in firefox:
>
> socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
> ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused
>
> - I have added my user as a member of the pulse group.

The groups should be irrelevant unless you are running in System Wide
mode (which I suspect you are not - it's certainly not the recommended
or default way on Fedora).

This happens when the libpulse client cannot connect to the server you
are running. Simple tests are using:

paplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
aplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav

This tests a native client and an alsa client using the alsa libraries.

What I suspect is happening here is that you are running a 64 bit system
and that the above two commands will work fine.

However, the 32 bit libpulse that is installed on your system is looking
for a different location to communicate with pulseaudio server (this
*has* changed between 0.9.15 and 0.9.16).

It should just be a matter of building a 32 bit version of libpulse to
go with your git master version.

If I'm wrong with the assumptions please let us know :)

> Please cc me on the response.

Gmane, Gmane, Gmane :p

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]