[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio error message

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Aug 7 03:41:20 PDT 2009

On 08/07/2009 08:37 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 07/08/09 10:55 did gyre and gimble:
>> I have Fedora 11 64 bit with a dev version of pulse. I have both the
>> 32 and 64 bit version of the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio library but
>> skype and flash are not able to find the 64 bit version. Hard linking
>> it from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib doesn't do anything.
>
> OK, so my guess was correct :)
>
> Problem is this:
>
> On 64 bit apps:
>
> Alsa loads the pulse plugin -> Pulse Plugin uses libpulse (from your
> git build) and successfully finds and connects to the pulseaudio daemon.
>
> On 32 bit apps:
>
> Alsa loads the pulse plugin -> Pulse Plugin uses libpulse (from your
> *system* version -e.g. mismatched from your server) and cannot find or
> connect to the pulseaudio daemon.
>

> You need to make sure your 32bit libpulse matches the 64bit version.

I was having this same issue when running the default install from
Fedora 0.9.15 before I upgraded to 0.9.16.

Can you recommend which steps I should take to ensure that the 32 bit
lib and 64 bit lib will work together?

It seems that even the Fedora packagers are having trouble with this step.

Cheers.