[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio error message

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Aug 7 06:16:32 PDT 2009

On 08/07/2009 11:01 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 07/08/09 11:41 did gyre and gimble:
>> I was having this same issue when running the default install from
>> Fedora 0.9.15 before I upgraded to 0.9.16.
>>
>> Can you recommend which steps I should take to ensure that the 32 bit
>> lib and 64 bit lib will work together?
>>
>> It seems that even the Fedora packagers are having trouble with this
>> step.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not a fedora guy. On Mandriva we just install both
> lib64pulse0 and libpulse0 (they are installed to different paths)
>
> There should be nothing tricky about this, but if you are building
> from source rather than using packages, you'll need to either have  32
> bit chroot to build the 32 bit version or use some "linux32" style
> wrapper to the configure/make commands (and have the relevant 32-bit
> build deps installed).
>
> Col

That doesn't sound too difficult or frustrating at all ;-)

These are the packages that are available on Fedora 11

-------------------------
pulseaudio.x86_64 : Improved Linux sound server
pulseaudio-esound-compat.x86_64 : PulseAudio EsounD daemon compatibility
script
pulseaudio-libs.i586 : Libraries for PulseAudio clients
pulseaudio-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for PulseAudio clients
pulseaudio-libs-devel.i586 : Headers and libraries for PulseAudio client
development
pulseaudio-libs-devel.x86_64 : Headers and libraries for PulseAudio
client development
pulseaudio-libs-glib2.i586 : GLIB 2.x bindings for PulseAudio clients
pulseaudio-libs-glib2.x86_64 : GLIB 2.x bindings for PulseAudio clients
pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.i586 : Zeroconf support for PulseAudio clients
pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.x86_64 : Zeroconf support for PulseAudio clients
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth.x86_64 : Bluetooth proximity support for the
PulseAudio sound server
pulseaudio-module-gconf.x86_64 : GConf support for the PulseAudio sound
server
pulseaudio-module-jack.x86_64 : JACK support for the PulseAudio sound server
pulseaudio-module-lirc.x86_64 : LIRC support for the PulseAudio sound server
pulseaudio-module-x11.x86_64 : X11 support for the PulseAudio sound server
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf.x86_64 : Zeroconf support for the PulseAudio
sound server
pulseaudio-utils.i586 : PulseAudio sound server utilities
pulseaudio-utils.x86_64 : PulseAudio sound server utilities
------------------------

Strange that there are no 32 bit modules.

If I am running the 64 bit version of the Daemon and it is connected to
jack will the 32 bit libs allow me to run a 32 bit app and connect to
the 64 bit Daemon?

Will the 0.9.15 32 bit packages above be compatible with 0.9.16 64 bit?

Is there another way to enable this to work similar to the ndiswrapper
approach for the older flashplugins?

I'm looking at this from the point of view of a "normal" user who
doesn't know anything about the system other than how to find and run
the application they would like to play with. My goal is to understand
what exactly we are missing to make it possible for this "normal" user
to have firefox running with some flash or realplayer streams, skype
ticking over in the background play a few songs in totem and
occasionally without having to think about it do some video editing or
make some music without bringing down the audio system.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd