[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio error message

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 7 06:53:06 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 07/08/09 14:36 did gyre and gimble:

> On 08/07/2009 11:26 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>
>>> These are the packages that are available on Fedora 11
>>>
>>> -------------------------
>>> pulseaudio.x86_64 : Improved Linux sound server
>>> pulseaudio-esound-compat.x86_64 : PulseAudio EsounD daemon compatibility
>>> script
>>> pulseaudio-libs.i586 : Libraries for PulseAudio clients
>>> pulseaudio-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for PulseAudio clients
>>> pulseaudio-libs-devel.i586 : Headers and libraries for PulseAudio client
>>> development
>>> pulseaudio-libs-devel.x86_64 : Headers and libraries for PulseAudio
>>> client development
>>> pulseaudio-libs-glib2.i586 : GLIB 2.x bindings for PulseAudio clients
>>> pulseaudio-libs-glib2.x86_64 : GLIB 2.x bindings for PulseAudio clients
>>> pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.i586 : Zeroconf support for PulseAudio clients
>>> pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.x86_64 : Zeroconf support for PulseAudio clients
>>> pulseaudio-module-bluetooth.x86_64 : Bluetooth proximity support for the
>>> PulseAudio sound server
>>> pulseaudio-module-gconf.x86_64 : GConf support for the PulseAudio sound
>>> server
>>> pulseaudio-module-jack.x86_64 : JACK support for the PulseAudio sound server
>>> pulseaudio-module-lirc.x86_64 : LIRC support for the PulseAudio sound server
>>> pulseaudio-module-x11.x86_64 : X11 support for the PulseAudio sound server
>>> pulseaudio-module-zeroconf.x86_64 : Zeroconf support for the PulseAudio
>>> sound server
>>> pulseaudio-utils.i586 : PulseAudio sound server utilities
>>> pulseaudio-utils.x86_64 : PulseAudio sound server utilities
>>> ------------------------
>>>

>>> Strange that there are no 32 bit modules.
>>>

>> Why did you expect them?
>>
>> We only ship 32bit versions of libraries 32bit apps might link
>> to. However The PA server itself (and hence its modules) is only
>> available in the native word with of your CPU, i.e. 64bit.
>>

> Cool. Thanks for clarifying.
>

>>> If I am running the 64 bit version of the Daemon and it is connected to
>>> jack will the 32 bit libs allow me to run a 32 bit app and connect to
>>> the 64 bit Daemon?
>>>

>> Yes, that's the idea.
>>

>>> Will the 0.9.15 32 bit packages above be compatible with 0.9.16 64
>>> bit?
>>>

>> I try to keep compatibility in the protocol between versions. However
>> there is not test suite to verify this. Also, while I am quite sure
>> compat of the protocol for pure socket clients should work well, this
>> might not be the case for local clients. It is expected that for local
>> clients you update all or nothing.
>>

> So, it's worth a shot to install them and test. Will do that now.

It's worth noting (as I alluded to earlier) that the 0.9.15 and the
0.9.16 have a *known* incompatibility with regards to how they look for
the socket path to communicate with the pulseaudio daemon.

If you run start-pulseaudio-x11 and get some results when doing:
xprop -root| grep PULSE_SERVER

then this should be enough to work around this incompatibility (although
I've not tested this).

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]