[pulseaudio-discuss] installing header files

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Aug 8 04:07:20 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 08/08/09 06:36 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I'm compiling libflashsupport to use the libraries in /usr/lib64 by
> default.
>
> It's giving me this compile error:
>
>  make
> gcc -fPIC -shared -O2 -Wall  -lpthread -DLIBDIR=/usr/lib64 \
>     -DALSA_INTERNAL  -DPULSEAUDIO
> -DLIBPULSEPATH='"/usr/lib64/libpulse-simple.so.0"' -DESD
> -DLIBESDPATH='"/usr/lib64/libesd.so.0"' \
>     -DOSS -DOPENSSL -lssl  \
>     flashsupport.c -o libflashsupport.so
> flashsupport.c:232:26: error: pulse/simple.h: No such file or directory
> flashsupport.c:233:25: error: pulse/error.h: No such file or directory
>

> I have a dev version of pulse in stalled but here's what I get with
> "locate simple.h"

Locate depends on a database that is updated via a cron job. Therefore
you cannot rely on it's output (especially after recently installing
something).

Please note that libfashsupport was created before flashplayer worked
properly with pulse via alsa (it used to have a massive bug). Since
flash 10 this is no longer an issue and libflashsupport is no longer needed.

Also, it has never really been tested with the 64 bit version of flash
so YMMV.

> dev version of the 32 bit libs.
>
> ls /usr/include/pulse/
> rtclock.h

Your install is messed up. There should be many more headers from the
devel package than that.

> - What do I need to do to get pulse/simple.h to install by default?

It's just part of the pulseaudio devel package (whatever it is called).
Verify your RPM with rpm -V. I suspect that at some point you've tried
to install the git version into a /usr prefix (this is a very bad
practice and will only lead to tears... always uses a custom prefix
(that's what I do - e.g. --prefix=/home/colin/pulsegit) or use /usr/local)

I suspect at some point a make uninstall has clobbered your system's files.

> For now I have just linked from the git repo src/pulse to /usr/include/

Thout shalt not mix and match headers from different versions. Doing so
can lead to very annoying bugs that will waste a lot of time in trying
to track down.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]