[pulseaudio-discuss] installing header files

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 9 07:23:54 PDT 2009

On 08/10/2009 12:03 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 08/08/09 12:16 did gyre and gimble:
>

>> I have the libs in /usr/lib64. Where should the include files go?
>
> Well, I think you're trying to manually copy things about here which
> doesn't sound like  a very wise thing to do to be honest. I'd either
> use a custom prefix that wont clobber your system packages or I'd just
> build the source as an RPM that you can easily remove/upgrade etc later.

I did a temporary linkage to /usr/include/pulse but only so I could
build the libflashsupport package which I was attempting to use to sort
out the issue with libflashplayer.

I only did that because the 32 bit package removed the
/usr/ibclude/pulse folder after I removed it. This in itself seems
unusual as I still technically have the 64 bit packages installed as far
as yum is concerned so I was expecting the headers not to be removed as
IIUC the 32 bit build and the 64 bit build from the same version use the
same headers.

That combined with a very long session of QA made me wonder if there was
something wrong with the manual installation. However I should have
double checked that first.

After removing the linked folder from /usr/include and reinstalling the
custom build everything is in place.

I would also like to note that jack has support for running 32 bit apps
natively on the 64 bit compile. Maybe that same logic can be applied to
pulseaudio too?

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd