[pulseaudio-discuss] installing header files

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 10 00:49:51 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 09/08/09 15:43 did gyre and gimble:
>> I don't know how you managed to get in such a position but I mess
>> around with 64 and 32 bit combos all the time and it's really not any
>> hassle with pulse.
>
> Well in this case I have to disagree. However not because I don't think
> it's not possible but because I definitely found it to be a hassle
> before upgrading because the default Fedora 11 didn't install the 32 bit
> libs and since upgrading because I haven't yet built the 32 bit version.

Yeah I guess a default install will probably not install 32 bit libs. I
doubt that is any different in other distros either. We did have
specific deps added for our flash package (typically run as a 32 bit
processes - it's only recently gone native as you know).

> As you are the Mandrake packager your knowledge of the build process is
> definitely more advanced than mine. However I have been working with
> Linux Audio for 10 years so I'm not exactly a novice.

This is true, but it's more about knowing how 64 and 32 bit systems work
together. Even before pulse there needed to be a 32 bit version of
libasound for things to work. Now we need a 32 bit libpulse (and a 32
bit alsa->pulse plugin) so things aren't so very different than they
used to be in all honesty. I don't think anything major went wrong in
your case, just some bizarre hiccups that were compounded to become
rather confusing overall. I suspect most users would not have been so
unlucky (otherwise we'd see far more questions on this list :))

> I hazard a guess
> that this is one thing that would cause people a lot of difficulty and
> contribute to the general bad press that pulseaudio recieves online and
> in turn Linux Audio on the desktop.

I think the poor rollout/integration by some distros which shall remain
nameless is the main reason for this.

The 64/32 bit issue could certainly have played some part here. If 32 X
applications can run flawlessly, then there is no excuse if the sound
does not "just work" too.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]