[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound initialised to 0% for new users == silence (Graphical Gnome Login)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 19 15:20:19 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 17/08/09 21:52 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> Similar to my last mail but the opposite behaviour is noticed here!
>
> This could easily be a g-s-d or a g-v-c-a problem, but I'm not sure how
> these ones work internally so opinions welcome. I do however suspect
> that it's a result of the first play of a role without a stored volume
> rule - could be wrong tho'. I tried to verify this via canberra-gtk-play
> +console, but it needs X... I've not yet tried some PULSE_PROP style env
> var hacking.
>
> I performed this test a totally fresh user account, at GDM with other
> users logged in + git master 8f928b (HEAD at time of writing).
>
> After logging in g-v-c-a is showing the mute symbol despite the
> underlying alsa mixer having been previously confirmed ot having a
> sensible value (although with current pulse I'd suspect a 100%
> initialisation anyway - even if that is not desirable!)
>
> The following behaviour can now be observed:
>
> 1. pavucontrol/g-v-c both show all sliders as 0 including the "system
> sounds" slider.
>
> 2. Running paplay does not restore the volume (so it's silent).
>
> 3. Setting the device volume in either pavucontrol or g-v-c allows a
> paplay to run and be heard. paplay can be run multiple times without a
> problem.
>
> 4. Running canberra-gtk-play -i menu-click (for example) will turn the
> device volume down again. paplay is then on silent (the canberra sound
> could also be triggered organically via (duh!) clicking on a menu).
>

> So there seems to be two problems here:
>
> 1. Problem with "system sounds" volume being initialised to 0 at first
> login (perhaps due to g-v-c-a/g-s-d or perhaps due to the canberra
> played login sound?)
> 2. The fact that a "system sounds" volume of 0 changes the system
> volume. It should be completely separate from it. I suspect it is
> interfering with the flat volume logic in some capacity.
>

> I hope I've written up these two problems clearly.
>
> I've got some Mandriva bug references but I doubt they will add to this
> at present.

Slight follow up on this one too.

Seems the rework helped here. The device volume is now initialised to
whatever the underlying device's volume is (for a fresh user's first
graphical login).

The system sounds slider is still set to 0 but at least other sounds
work OOTB. I still think this could be a bug tho', but not nearly as
serious now.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]