[pulseaudio-discuss] source-sink loopback

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 20 05:41:19 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and pl bossart at 17/08/09 17:19 did gyre and gimble:
> Howdy,
> Since this was missing in PulseAudio, I created a loopback module
> where input sound can be redirected to a sink. That removes the need
> for the silly parec|pacat workaround.

I've been following this thread but have had nothing intelligent to say
until now!

Just wanted to say that I'm working on a module for unrelated reasons
that would probably come in handy here.

While some other modules (bluetooth?) may load this module internally
as/when they need it, I'm working on a system that would let you define
modules to load via a GUI and associate them with sinks/sources etc.
that are not currently plugged in (it maintains a history of the
sinks/sources it's seen in the past).

This GUI would allow you to e.g. define a loopback module definition
that works with Source A and Sink B. The loader module will
automatically try and load any defined and active module which are not
currently loaded every time a new sink/source is detected.

This structure shoudl be ideal for people wanting to define custom "pass
throughs".

Cheers just now

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]