[pulseaudio-discuss] source-sink loopback

Kevin Fox Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov
Thu Aug 20 16:51:14 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 01:14 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

*SNIP*

> memblocks which are not unreffed explicitly are leaked. We don't have
> garbage collection (whcih is not really an option in RT
> processes). You need to be careful to unref everything you allocated
> or got a ref for.

A couple of issues I have with these statements :)
1) reference counting is a form of garbage collection. Its just less
automatic then other forms.

2) even if you don't consider reference counting garbage collection,
there are GC's out there with real time characteristics. For example
(http://www.artima.com/lejava/articles/javaone_2007_realtime_gc.html)

(I'm not arguing pulse audio should have a real time automatic garbage
collector... Just that they exist. :)

Kevin