[pulseaudio-discuss] mythtv uses oss

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Aug 22 09:26:12 PDT 2009

On Sat, 22.08.09 13:14, niv waizer (nivwiz at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
> I got these two issues:
> 1. When I load my tv card an audio device is created at card1. so
> mythtv needs to record the audio separately from the video. mythtv
> uses oss for audio recording, and this also works with the alsa oss
> emulation.

OSS is obsolete. They really should not use that anymore. In Fedora
OSS support has been disabled and other distributions will certainly
follow suit.

> I asked at the myth irc forum, and was told that when the myth
> recorder starts they disable pulse, to avoid problems accessing the
> audio device.

What problems are thoe?

> * Is there an option to tell pulse not to include a certain device
> when it probes HAL or udev?

Just open pavucontrol, go to the right-most and select the "off"
profile

> I think that this mythtv disable feature is causing me problems as
> when I want to start a new audio play , and mythtv started to record,
> pulse will not start.

I have no clue what they are doing. PA should always start fine. The
worst that can happen is that some app blcoks the device access in
which case PA will not be able to recognize the device.

I don't see why mythtv should want to disable PA. If they stcik to the
"safe ALSA subset" it should run fine on top of PA.

> did anyone tested mythtv and pulse using a tv card like me ?
>
> 2. whenever I start a new pulseaudio run, like after loging in, the
> audio in the pavucontrol appears beyond 100% I mean 120,263 and even
> 1612% , I hear the audio at full volume and distorted. I then move the
> knob and the audio gets the correct settings.

Hmm, that's interesting. Never heard of this. So you say PA is unable
to remember?

Can you tell me exactly how to reproduce this? I.e. step-by-step
guide? You set volume to 100%, then do pulseaudio -k and then
pulseaudio -D and it is set to > 100%? This is indeed surprising.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net