[pulseaudio-discuss] Sending all audio out S/PDIF

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Aug 28 19:52:44 PDT 2009

On Sat, 29.08.09 02:10, Nasa (nasa01 at comcast.net) wrote:

> 1. the hal modules seemed to *override* my default module.  End
> result was it would start off with spdif and then switch to
> something else.  This was solved by commenting out the hal modules.

It doesn't 'override'. It just duplicates configuration of the audio
devices if you do it once manually and once via the hal
autodetection. Either use manual or autoconfiguration, not both.

If you use at least pa 0.9.15 you can use the "configuration" tab in
pavucontrol and select spdif there, no need to manually configure
anything.

> 2. I will need to figure out a better place to start pulseaudio -- I
> have it set to the session option so when the user starts pulseaudio
> I get sound (ie: out of a tty) but not in the graphical frontend,
> which is started at bootup and pulseaudio is a service also started
> at bootup.  I figure the fix is either have the service run as the
> user or start pulseaudio from .xsession (any issues with either
> solution?)

The recommended way to start PA is via
/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop (for x11 sessions) and
autospawning (for the console and as extra safety net).

In fact PA upstream installs itself that way out-of-the-box...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net