[pulseaudio-discuss] Sending all audio out S/PDIF

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 31 18:45:07 PDT 2009

On Tue, 01.09.09 00:07, Nasa (nasa01 at comcast.net) wrote:

> I finally got some sound to work.  I can start playing some music, but after 2 - 10
> minutes sound stops.  Depending on the player it may freeze or it may continue with
> out noticing sound has stopped...
>
> Here's what gets logged in my syslog file (it can be repeated a couple of times):
>
> When pulseaudio crashes:
> Aug 31 04:25:43 ice-car pulseaudio[3109]: rtpoll.c: Assertion 'usec <= ((pa_usec_t) 1000000ULL)*60ULL*60ULL' failed at pulsecore/rtpoll.c:516, function pa_rtpoll_set_timer_relative(). Aborting.
> Aug 31 04:34:31 ice-car pulseaudio[7316]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.

This is almost certainly triggered by a bug in your audio driver which
overflows in snd_pcm_delay()/snd_pcm_avail() which causes PA's time
calculations to overflow as a result which is then caught by this
assert. PA >= 0.9.15 is actually very explicit about this issue and
tells you in syslog the driver that is broken and how exactly the
function overflowed.

Many of these unreliabilities of the timing primitives have been fixed
in the drivers in the recent passed. Make sure you run a fully patched
recent kernel.

And of course, in Fedora we tend to ship a kernel that has these
issues mostly fixed.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net