[pulseaudio-discuss] Which code in pulseaudio source deals with discovering apple airports?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 5 11:51:10 PST 2009

Hi,

'Twas brillig, and don rhummy at 05/12/09 18:05 did gyre and gimble:
> I'm looking to write some code in Java that will discover the
> airports, allow a user to select them and then stream music to them.
>
> From your description, it sounds like Pulse Audio requires Avahi to
> discover the airports and that the actual discovery code is in Avahi.
> Is that correct?

Yeah, the Airport devices present themselves via the Bonjour system for
which the default Linux implementation is avahi.

> I'm looking to make this code so it'll work on any system Java works
> on.

So how are you actually going to talk to the Airport devices once you've
detected them?

I'm a little confused as to what the aim is here considering that the
actual method to output to the airports will be very different on
different platforms (I don't know how it works on windows, Airofoil
speakers seems to be the way that it works generically on OSX and
obviously PulseAudio on Linux).

If your app just detects the devices and then uses the appropriate
systems depending on system, then this could work I guess. Or are you
planning to implement a system to output directly to the Airport device
itself too?

> What's confusing to me is that a lot of the code others have written
> to do this work on Windows but not on Linux, yet I thought all you're
> doing (to discover airports) is opening a multicast socket and
> communicating through there, so I have no idea why the OS would make
> a diff.

Well I'm not sure about the internals of the Bonjour system personally,
so I'm afraid I can't really help you here.

> jmDNS does not work on any of my linux systems but when I dual boot
> into windows, jmDNS finds the airports

I don't really know to be honest as I've not done any java development
and am unfamiliar with this system. Have you made sure that your linux
install opens port 5353 in the firewall?

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]