[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA-emulation for multiple devices

Vegard Vesterheim vegard.vesterheim at uninett.no
Sat Dec 12 11:22:47 PST 2009

I do not understand how pulseaudio arranges ALSA-emulation for
multiple devices. I have a typical setup with external speakers
connected to the sound card and an USB Headset.

My Voip-client (twinkle) uses ALSA. I would like to configure twinkle
to use external speakers for ring tone, and headset for the normal
audio. I have a standard .asoundrc as described in the 'Perfect
Setup', defining a single ALSA device, called 'pulse'. Do I need to
add an extra entry in my ~/.asoundrc so that ALSA-applications knows
about my headset?. This must be a pretty normal use-case, but I
haven't found any documentation about how to accomplish this.

I know how to use pavucontrol to move streams between sound cards.

I'm using vanilla Ubuntu Karmic (pulseaudio 0.9.19).

 - Vegard V -