[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA-emulation for multiple devices

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 13 04:22:02 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Michał Sawicz at 12/12/09 21:20 did gyre and gimble:
> As for native Pulse I believe media roles are designed to achieve that
> [1]. So that a ring would be of role 'Event' and the actual speech would
> be of role 'Phone'. This has the additional advantage of allowing Pulse
> to pause / mute media sounds when a VOiP call comes in.

Absolutely 100% correct.

Even ALSA apps can set some PA hint environment variables that will have
no effect if PA is not used but can set the correct roles etc. if it is
running.

Pulse will try and guess the role if one is not provided by parsing the
.desktop file of the application in question.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]