[pulseaudio-discuss] Why no 'default device' option?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 17 01:26:35 PST 2009

On Thu, 26.11.09 08:42, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Jeremy Nickurak at 25/11/09 20:37 did gyre and gimble:
> >On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:48, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie
> ><mailto:gmane at colin.guthr.ie>> wrote:
> >
> >    PA will always remember what your app has chosen. So if you play
> >    something with an app for the very first time, it is assigned to the
> >    fallback device (we know no better).
> >

> >Is this the case even if you don't manually select one? Ie, the
> >first time it's used, it uses the "fallback" device. The second
> >time, does it still go to the "fallback", or does it go to the
> >same device it "fell-back" to last time?
> >
> >I'm hoping it's the former, in which case... what is the
> >difference between a fall-back device and a default-device?
>
> Well, there is a save_sink flag we set when we are supposed to save
> the sink... it's a little confusing and I've not fully groked the
> code, but it should only be set when the user has specifically moved
> the stream. However, I'm not 100% sure that is the case right now.

Your interpretation is correct: the flag is set iff the configuration
was tiggered by a user action. For all saved rules we set this flag
too, since the saved rules were initially the result of a user
action,, too.

> I'd have to look at the code to answer 100% here, but certainly the
> intention is that the sink is only saved if the user has actively
> moved the sink (e.g. calls the appropriate API command).

That is true. (And if it somewhere is handled differently, that should
be considered a bug)

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net