[pulseaudio-discuss] Moving speakers around using AC3

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 17 03:08:53 PST 2009

On Sat, 28.11.09 09:29, Aurelien Bompard (gauret at free.fr) wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I have a strange use case, and I'd like to know if it's possible to do it
> with PulseAudio :
> At home, I have an AC3 amp, a couch and a computer against the wall to the
> left of the couch. The speakers are set up for watching movies sitting in
> the couch. Tentative ASCII art :
> ----------------------
>  RL  CPU  FL

>   u       CENTER+LFE
>
>  RR       FR
> (boy am I untalented with this...)

My recommendation to implement this is editing
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/default.conf and adding
a mapping "iec958-ac3-surround-51-weird" that is mostly a copy of
"iec958-ac3-surround-51" but changes the channel-map to the map you
want to use. Then you should simple be able to switch between the
normal and the weird AC3 profile.

(and don't forget to restart PA)

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net