[pulseaudio-discuss] only "dummy audio" available when many users want to use one audio card

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 17 03:21:53 PST 2009

On Sat, 21.11.09 22:18, Tomasz Chmielewski (mangoo at wpkg.org) wrote:

> I have a multiseat workstation - two graphics cards, two
> keyboards/mice, two monitors, but one audio card.
>
> Before pulseaudio was mainstream, I was using ALSA, and both users
> could use audio.

Which was a big security hole since that way evil users may eavesdrop
into other users voip calls, or even use the mic for surveillance
purposes. Due to that we generally consider audio devices to be part
of the seat the same ways a mouse, a keyboard or a screen is.

Also, I am still wondering how you manage to seat two people at the
same distance from the L and R speakers... I mean, the only way how
that could work is one sits on the others lap...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net