[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio in general - does it make sense?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 12:49:14 PST 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009, Arun Raghavan wrote:
>On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 12:47 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>[...]
>
>> Coding is kewl, I do it myself on smaller systems, but  where are the man
>> pages that should allow us to make it Just Work(TM)?
>
>[...]
>
>> I think the majority of us are interested.  And contrary to rumors extant
>> all over the web, the majority of us _can_ read and follow directions.
>> We just don't have a thing to read yet.
>
>[...]
>
>Have you seen this: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup ?

Now I have.  And it seems awfully complex for something that should just
work.

Also printed for reference since I have no sound on the mandriva 2010 64 bit
install I shall use as the canary's equ, and may switch to as this F10 has
been EOL'd.

Mint 8 was the other candidate, but trying to use the same /home partition
has led to many gotchas from the lack of a common base numbering system for
the users between them.  But one thing was nice on Mint 8 (64 bit), fglxr
installed without a single hiccup, and made X about 10x faster, without the
display trash that radeonhd leaves behind all too often when running this
F10.

It will take a while to absorb and implement this.

Thank you very much.