[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio in general - does it make sense?

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Tue Dec 22 15:24:29 PST 2009

Le 22/12/2009 21:49, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> Now I have.  And it seems awfully complex for something that should just
> work.

I'll bite.

PulseAudio, while not being 100% perfect yet, is like NetworkManager 4
years ago, or Compiz about 2 years ago.

All those projects have in common that they're pushing the
infrastructure beyond anything that's been done before.

When NM started, Dan Williams (its creator) spent months kicking kernel
drivers to get them to behave somewhat sanely by properly supporting the
various iwconfig properties : scanning, signal strength, WPA, etc.
(Doesn't that sound awfully familiar?)

Today, no-one even notices NetworkManager anymore because the project
has been so successful. And even if people choose to use Moblin's wifi
manager or wicd instead, the very fact remains that NM was the first
userland project to pull Linux's wifi stack out of its miserable state.

I could go on about Compiz and graphics drivers, but I'm sure I've said
enough for now.

Bottom line, sound on Linux is still a mess but PA is helping a _lot_ to
clean it all up (and it really is starting to show). I can only
encourage you to file bugs wherever appropriate so that sound on Linux
just works.

Cheers,

Rémi