[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio 0.9.21 deadlocking when accessed through OpenAl 1.10.622 (AlienArena)

Kelly Anderson kelly at silka.with-linux.com
Wed Dec 23 01:21:43 PST 2009

On 12/23/2009 01:56 AM, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 01:21 -0700, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
>> AlienArena was deadlocking trying to go through OpenAl which was set to
>> use PulseAudio.  After quite a bit of debugging (entering prints in
>> OpenAl pulse code), I finally found a solution with the help of a SUSE
>> bug report.
>>
>> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2009-10/msg10497.html
>>
>> which points at this commit.
>>
>> http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=4f5e2b745ea357e2b5c815ff33a556505a7d1f18
>>

> Are you using openal-soft? If yes, did you try the fix that was
> mentioned on the bug you referred to? It could be this one (but the
> dates do not match):
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/openal-soft.git/commit/0e1e8503e0f6fb73d06ba0dff6e5b2771b1df856

If it is that commit, they've restructured their code in
context_state_callback and stream_state_callback.  That patch will not
apply to OpenAl 1.10.622.  I'm not too excited about using repository
code (although I use it when necessary).

IMHO, the pulseaudio commit looks like a suspicious/dangerous optimization.