[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio Mixing & DSP Mixing

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 24 04:21:14 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and tieg at 24/12/09 11:34 did gyre and gimble:
> I agree with Pierre's opinion.
>
> One embedded environment, the audio is more complicated than Desktop PC.
> Because there will be DSP, and there is more audio devices.
>
> DSP can be a pure channel for handling compressed streams, and audio
> data just bypass PulseAudio & ALSA. For power saving and performance
> issue, DSP solution seems to be a trend for high level handheld device.

It is actually planned to add some degree of codec support in PA, but
the main problem regarding that is the extraction of timing information
from compressed codecs. I'm not personally up to speed with the plans in
this regard so I wont bother trying to give any details and will leave
that for others.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]