[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio Mixing & DSP Mixing

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 24 08:39:53 PST 2009

On Thu, 24.12.09 19:34, tieg (tie.ge at access-company.com) wrote:

> Is it possible to add "virtual stream" concept in PulseAudio? Although
> the real data does not pass through it, PulseAudio can still be
> responsible for all kinds of audio stream control.

As Coling pointed out we plan to support encoded streams natively
soon. However this is not easy.

Also, supporting "virtual" streams has been requested a couple of
times as well (for example to support pass-thru line-in and
suchlike). I think it makes a lot of sense to have that and it
wouldn't even be hard to implement but as of now nobody wrote the
code. When those "virtual" streams existed it would be up to the
backend to create/destroy them and make sure the actual data flows.

> Maybe this is a new challenge or direction for PulseAudio. Afaik,
> PulseAudio is mainly target for Desktop, but the embedded area should
> not be ignored.

No we certainly dont ignore the mebedded world. As I mentioned writing
a backend for some hw that does hw mixing is relatively easily doable.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net