[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Dec 27 04:34:46 PST 2009

On Sat, 26.12.09 08:31, Halim Sahin (halim.sahin at freenet.de) wrote:

> > > I believe in his particular use-case he's concerned about the
> > > screenreader prior to the DE starting up (boot messages and the like?).
> >
> > We actually cover that inside of gdm, where you can get access to the
> > boot messages.
>
> Ok what about consolescreenreaders like sbl brltty or speakup?
> They need a working audiosystem to provide
> usefull stuff before login or to read the login pprompt.

The gdm login screen should be prefectly accessible.

> With pulseaudio I need to login without feedback, start the speech server and
> then restart the screenreader.

Use gdm!

> By design mac and windows are not comparable with linux
> because they are not a multi user OS.

That is simply not true.

> For german users:
> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/stud/unix-ag-bhb/node27.html
>
> changing  the unix behaviour is the main problem here.
> Maybe you don't need this but others do.

Unix is pretty much a broken system. It might be a useful base and
more useful as a base than other systems, but uh, of course we need to
deviate from a system that was designed 40 years ago. People who think
that Unix is a flawless system and every depature from it would be bad
are just incredibly naive.

> It should be possible to use the audiosystem the (old way).

You are always welcome to use a distribution from 3 years ago if you
feel that progress is not for you...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net