[pulseaudio-discuss] Media Keys on Bluetooth headsets?

Matthew W. S. Bell matthew at bells23.org.uk
Sun Dec 27 17:28:00 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 08:08 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> Hi, I've been using my Jabra Halo stereo (A2DP) headset with pulse and
> gnome-bluetooth for several months now, works great.
>
> A question though, does pulseaudio or gnome-bluetooth (not sure who'd
> be
> responsible for this) support the media keys (next track, previous
> track) on my headset, or on any bluetooth headset? I'd assume these
> keys
> are standard across headsets, since they all work on the same devices
> (bluetooth mp3 or cellphones etc.)

The Linux kernel input layer is responsible for handling Bluetooth
AVRCP. Whenever, an AVRCP device is connected an appropriate input event
device should appear; one can use 'lsinput' to list input devices.

I believe that hald-addon-input then processes these events and emits
DBUS 'ButtonPressed' events. In the case of GNOME, I believe these are
then picked up by gnome-settings-daemon, and emitted as X key-presses.
One can use 'dbus-monitor --session' to see the events.

Matthew