[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:43:57 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 15:45 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 28.12.09 17:41, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to specify a sound to be a 'system sound' as defined
by
> > System Sounds on pavucontrol, when played by paplay?
> >
> > If so, then programs such as pidgin which allow playing event
> > notifications through a command would be useable without
modification.

> paplay --property=media.role=event ...
>
> Lennart

A follow-up on this, how do I move event sounds to a different sink? For
other streams I simply use pavucontrol, but it doesn't seem that there's
any selector for the "System Sounds" item. It just selects the
'normal' (laptop sound card output) and I can't figure a way to move it
to my BT headset without turning the sound card output off.